Eco-Friendly Ice Melt In Massachusetts: A Comparison
Two snowstorms will approach Massachusetts in early February 2021 – one with the northern jet stream and the other with the southern jet (coastal low). These two systems will phase as the storm passes out to sea, giving western Massachusetts a glancing blow with light to perhaps moderate snow totals.
However, if the jet streams phase or merge, the coastal low could turn into a major nor’easter with a bigger snow event for the residents. So be prepared to shovel some snow from your driveway and sidewalks. Shoveling is a laborious task and is hard on your back too. Ice melt comes in handy for removing the stubborn and slippery ice layers from the surface.
But using ice melt has its con too. Chloride based ice melts are damaging to your plants and also poisons the nearby water bodies. Therefore, choosing the right natural ice melt is essential for the safety of the environment.
Concrete Safe Ice Melt
The Original and the #1 Pet and Child Safe Ice Melt for over 20 years. Guaranteed environmentally safe – will not harm waterways and sensitive wetlands.
The impact of the ice melt on its surrounding is primarily determined by its composition and ingredients. Let’s compare some ice melt and help you in choosing the right natural ice melter.
- Safe Paw: Safe Paw contains eco-friendly ingredients like urea and glycol admixture. It is 100% natural ice melt is free from chemicals like chlorides. It is non-corrosive, plant-friendly, pet-friendly, and is also safe to use around water resources. In addition to this, Safe Paw is effective up to -2 degrees Fahrenheit and prevents refreezing of ice on the surface for up to 3 days.
- Green Gobbler: Green Gobbler contains common rock salt (sodium chloride). Rock salt damages the plant and vegetation. Therefore, even if you are using it, use it sparingly and make sure while shoveling the salt doesn’t reach your garden. Rock salt is also damaging to the concrete of your driveway.
- Snow Joe: Snow Joe contains calcium chloride and is extremely harmful to pets. The chloride-based salt burns or injures the pet’s paws. Ingestion of these salts can lead to severe medical conditions requiring immediate attention.
- Safe Step: Safe Step contains a blend of sodium chloride, magnesium chloride, and other salts. As earlier mentioned, these chloride-based salts are toxic to plants, aquatic life, and nearby water bodies.
- Uline Ice Melt: Uline also has magnesium chloride in its bled, which is extremely harmful to the pets, environment, and water bodies.
Natural ice melt like Safe Paw is salt-free and eco-friendly. Safe Paw’s modified crystalline amide core is infused with glycol admixture and traction agent. On contact with snow, the outer layer attacks immediately while the crystal core penetrates slowly to eliminate all snow and ice. Safe Paw is completely safe to use around pets, plantations, and water bodies. Since it has all-natural ingredients in its blend, it’s environmentally friendly. You can safely spread them near the garden as well. Even if it percolates down, any intake of such non-toxic deicers will not be harmful.
So, this snow season, let’s choose an eco-friendly ice melt and enjoy the snow without worrying about environmental damages.
Traction Magic – Walk On Ice
The handy disposable canister can be taken everywhere with the same 100% naturally occurring minerals that provide instant traction on ice. Use it on sidewalks, steps, or as an instant traction agent for your car.
Imagine an ice melt you can put down and never worry about. It won’t harm animals or children, and it won’t damage your property. That’s Safe Thaw. Unlike anything else on the market, Safe Thaw can change how winter affects our planet.