Non Toxic Ice Melter
Finding the best best ice melter is not as easy as it sounds. Not every product labeled safe is non-toxic. So, what is a non toxic ice melter? In general, it is a de-icer free from harmful chemicals making it safe for the environment, pets and humans. By now, you must have seen the level of damage some ice melters do to concrete surfaces, cars and pets. Words are not enough to explain the extent of scaling and flaking, color corrosion, vomit, and diarrhea brought about by these products. Although they melt ice and snow, it is of paramount importance to use a non toxic de icer. These products can be categorized into two; Natural occurring and store bought non toxic de icers. Natural occurring non toxic ice melt agents include
As plain as it sound, this is a good ice melt and a traction agent. Sand is most convenient because you can use it on large and small areas. It is easy to clean, cheap and easily available.
As crude as it may sound, ashes serve as good de-icers. It melts ice fast and provides traction.
Sugar beet juice
Beet juice is also a common de-icer. It melts ice and it is safe for the environment and animals.
This is a natural ice melter. It is safe for pets and the environment, though caution should be taken when using it near a garden.
These mats work by continuously clearing ice and snow from the surface. They come with a good grip that offers prevention to slip and fall accident.
They are used the same way like snow-melt mats. They have an electro-plastic material that makes them strong enough to withstand harsh weather and last long. They are for outdoor use.
Battery/Electric snow blowers
As the name suggests, these machines are used to blow ice and snow and consequently melt it away. They are good to use on large areas.
You buy these products to clear ice. Depending on the instructions, some require application prior to snow. Some are supposed to be spread on top of snow. Although getting an effective product can be difficult, do not fret.
Here are a few guidelines to help you buy a non-toxic de icer.
Find out more about the ingredients used. Get on to Google search and find out the safety of common ingredients or chemicals used.
Make sure you read the label. The products you buy must be branded salt and chloride free and much better if it is labeled “pet safe” or “kids’ safe”
Do not be lured to buy cheap products. “Cheap is always expensive.” Ingredients used to make safe ice melt agents cost more, so they will definitely be more expensive.
What sets apart a non toxic ice melter?
The word ‘non-toxic’ clearly indicates that the de icer should be free from any kind of toxins/contaminants. Ensure you get an ice melter that does not contain any of the harmful chemicals listed below
This is what forms rock salt. When ingested (mostly by pets), it irritates their gastrointestinal system. It is also detrimental to their paws when salt gets logged into their paws.
Similar to sodium chloride, when ingested, it causes gastrointestinal irritation and diarrhea.
Once ingested, irritation and gastrointestinal distress occurs. So, ice melts containing magnesium chloride are equally hazardous.
Calcium salts (calcium chloride, calcium magnesium acetate and calcium carbonate)
These salts are very harmful. When ingested, they cause severe local irritation and gastrointestinal distress as well.
In conclusion, always put safety first. A good non toxic ice melter should the melt snow and ice and keep the environment and animals safe. Buy SafePaw and you will not regret. It is our choice because it delivers. Clear your sidewalks, driveways, storefronts, and anywhere else with the best.