Are You Using The Right Ice Melt Near A Well Or Water Reservoir?
Do you like winters? Yes, most of us do. They don’t call it “the most wonderful time of the year” for nothing. But the slippery and icy sidewalk in winters can be challenging as it can result in dangerous slip-and-fall accidents. Therefore, clearing snow and providing safe access to the driveway for your family and visitors becomes your responsibility. One of the most popular and effective ways to get rid of this treacherous layer of ice is by using ice melt.
According to a study, 60% of American households use rock salt or salt-based ice melter products, but only 38% of them are aware of its hazards. We take generous amounts of rock salt and spread it in open areas like steps, driveways, sidewalks, etc. Some people even think that rock salt is safe to use and is natural snowmelt, which is a big myth.
Safe, Eco-Friendly Ice Melt
Are you using ice melt or rock salt near a well or water reservoir?
In this article, we will discuss 5 reasons why you should not use rock salt or ice melter near a well or any other water body.
1- Rock Salt/Ice Melt May Percolate Into The Water Supply
Rock salt or ice melt can enter water supplies by percolating down through the ground or running off from roads and parking lots into water reservoirs and shallow wells.
Salt applied during storms often gets shoveled into snowbanks. When these melt, the salt gets washed into ditches or storm drains and ends up in the water supply.
2- Rock Salt And Ice Melt Contain Chemicals
Rock salt is 98% sodium chloride. Almost all ice melt in the market contain chloride in one or the other form like- sodium chloride, calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, etc.
Overuse of rock salt or chemical ice melter can be harmful to delicate machinery, building materials, concrete, vegetation, pets, and kids.
3- Rock Salt And Ice Melt Are Poisonous
Sodium chloride is poisonous to pets and kids. Sodium chloride is essentially the same as table salt, but it’s poisonous because it contains impurities and is not prepared with the same safety levels as table salt.
Rock salt can also cause irritation, rashes, and burns to the eyes, skin, or paws of your pets. Every year the Poison Control Department gets many calls about children who put ice melting crystals into their mouths.
In many countries, road salt is listed as a toxic substance. Chloride is toxic to aquatic life, and even low concentrations can produce harmful effects in freshwater ecosystems.
What’s The Solution?
The best way to avoid this is to use a natural ice melt safe for concrete, dogs, and vegetation. Intake of non-toxic ice melt will not be harmful. A salt-free, chloride free, acetate free ice melter is safe for your grass. So you can use safely spread it near the garden as well. Even if it percolates down, it won’t harm anyone.
Another way is to use spreaders and guards and prevent ice melt from being applied to the areas that can be damaged.
Stay safe on slippery surfaces with a product that’s 100% natural and safe for pets, people, and your property. Use Traction Magic on sidewalks, steps, or as instant traction for your car. Made in the USA.
Imagine an ice melt you can put down and never worry about. It won’t harm animals or children, and it won’t damage your property. That’s Safe Thaw. Unlike anything else on the market, Safe Thaw can change how winter affects our planet.