NEW YORK, NY, August 5, 2004 — In a national survey of more than 500 consumers living in cold weather states*, 60% of heads of households said that they routinely use rock salt or salt-based products to melt snow and ice in the winter. The remaining 40% respondents said they did not know what they used or don't use anything (30%), use other products (9%) or didn't know if the ice melt product contained salt (1%).
The most alarming statistic revealed by the survey is that nearly two-thirds of the respondents (62% total; 66% of men) were not aware that salt and salt-based ice melting products pose a health danger to pets and children who digest or come into contact with these products.
Leading veterinarian groups such as the American Veterinary Medical Association and the American Animal Hospital Association caution that exposure to salt and salt-based ice melting products, a common occurrence, can cause for dogs severe dermatitis, inflammation of the paws and serious gastrointestinal problems including vomiting and internal burns of the mouth and digestive tract. Salt can also burn and irritate children's eyes and skin and cause internal problems if swallowed according to pediatrician groups.
Opinion Research Corporation conducted the national independent Caravan survey in late July 2004 for Safe Paw™ the only 100% salt-free effective ice melter product on the market that is safe for pets, children, and the environment.
*Heads of household in: CO, CT, DC, DE, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, NH, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, RI, SD, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WY.
About Safe Paw™
No other ice/snow melter works like Safe Paw™ and it is 100% safe for children, pets, all surfaces, and the environment. It is unique in its compound and benefits without utilizing salt as an ingredient. Safe Paw is a patented dual-effect compound, made up of crystalline amide core infused with special glycols. This non-corrosive composition gives Safe Paw a two-way timed-release action. The liquid component starts melting ice instantly while breaking its surface tension. This allows the crystal-core to quickly penetrate and destabilize the ice and speed up the melting process. Safe Paw actually attracts heat to make it even more effective. This "endothermic" reaction takes advantage of solar effect and provides extra melting power during daylight hours. As an added feature, Safe Paw leaves an invisible protective shield that prevents ice from sticking to the surface for up to three days. This makes shoveling easier and saves work. For more information call (800) 783-7841 or visit www.safepaw.com and email firstname.lastname@example.org.